If you’re planning to replace the floors in your home with a product that has durability and long lasting beauty, choosing vinyl flooring is an outstanding choice. Even though it seems like laminate flooring is all the rage, vinyl is one of the most pliable, adaptable and affordable flooring products on the market. Vinyl flooring can be purchased in sheets, traditional tiles or even planks. Out of the box, vinyl flooring is manufactured to be waterproof or water resistant, but you might surprised at the design options now available.
Vinyl Flooring Fools the Guests
Vinyl flooring manufacturing is so much more technically advanced than it was 20 years ago. Some vinyl actually looks so similar to stone or marble, at first glance it’s difficult to tell the difference. We recently attended a house warming for a friend and everyone thought the kitchen floor was an expensive stone. Nope, it was a very nice premium vinyl that looked like expensive stone work. What’s important here is, you can choose vinyl from a variety of colors, styles and realistic designs to make your home look and feel as you like.
Vinyl Flooring Selections
If you’re choosing vinyl flooring you’ll find it available in a variety of options, styles and designs and but we suggest to choose something based on your needs. See below the most popular options :
- Vinyl Tile Squares – available in 12″ x 12″ or 18″ x 18″ squares. Many different colors, designs and styles. For a more realistic look be sure to ask your installer about LVT, or Luxury Vinyl Tile
- Vinyl Tile Can Be Grouted – If this is surprising, you’re not alone. Some vinyl tiles can be installed special so it can be grouted to appear as stone or ceramic tile. Be careful if doing the installation on your own because installing grout-able vinyl is not for the inexperienced!
- Vinyl Composition Tile – Also known as VCT, vinyl composition tile is intended for commercial use, in high traffic areas.
- Vinyl Plank Flooring – Choose vinyl plank flooring if you want a water resistant version of wood. Vinyl plank flooring is installed end to end and can look quite similar to real wood. This can be a very tricky installation but here at Best Flooring SCV, it’s not a problem.
- Sheet Vinyl – Though not as popular as it was years ago, sheet vinyl is still around and it too has advanced light years ahead in the manufacturing process. It’s a great choice for bathrooms, room with high moisture content or any room that is considered to be a “wet room.” It’s available in 6′ and 12′ widths and there are very few seams, if any!
Vinyl Floor Backing & Floor Preparation
As you might suspect, you can’t tell a book by it’s cover and the same applies when choosing vinyl flooring. Vinyl flooring comes with a backing and you’ll want to choose a product with a backing that is helps to resist mold, mildew. Also, ask your flooring dealer about thickness because generally speaking, when it comes to vinyl flooring, the thicker the better.
The actual process of floor preparation is a topic itself but no matter the flooring, floor prep will make or break the job. Yes, because vinyl is pliable that makes if more forgiving than other options, but it’s critical for your floor to be flat and free of bumps or crevices. The better the floor preparation, the better the final results.
Getting Started With Your New Vinyl Floor
Installing any flooring is no easy job and we don’t recommend large flooring projects to the DIY’er. If you do plan to go it alone, be sure to do your homework and be aware it can be physically demanding and especially hard on the knees, even with knee pads. We can’t tell you how many jobs we have had to finish for homeowners that got in over their heads. In fact, they often had not even purchased the right materials for the job.
Contact us at Best Flooring SCV today. We’ll give you a free in-home estimate and you might be surprised at the reasonable price. Of course, you can rest assured your new vinyl flooring will look amazing for years to come.
Casey Gordon is the founder, owner and operator of Santa Clarita based, Best Flooring SCV. Casey has many years of experience providing a variety of flooring services including, carpet, laminate flooring, wood flooring and premium vinyl flooring. Our service areas include all of SoCal as well as Ventura County. Casey and the team at Best Flooring SCV appreciate the opportunity to be of service and look forward to meeting you.